Help! I Got Chocolate Wasted
We’ve all been there. The hunger pangs strike and you want something now! Something sweet, something easy; that box of chocolates your significant other picked up for you on Valentine’s Day (or that you bought for yourself on sale - this is a no judgement zone) is calling to you. You pop a piece into your mouth. Ahhhh! The sweet taste of decadent milk chocolate floods through your mouth and your taste buds are officially satisfied! And just like that, you’ve finished your heart-shaped box of chocolates in a quick, ravenous, chocolate-induced blackout. You wait for the dreaded “chocolate hangover” effects to kick in; a sugar rush, crash, and you know you’ll be feeling hungry again in an hour. It happens to the best of us, and we’re here to get you through this!
Hush That Sugar Rush
There’s nothing worse than the hopped up, sugar rush feeling you get after a sugar overload indulgence. Fear not, because there are many of different things you can do to help your levels regulate! So, while your blood sugar levels may be spiking, turn to this handy checklist we crafted to help you feel more in control!
- Drink lots of water!!! Drinking water after a sugary snack is said to help your body absorb all that extra glucose AND it helps your kidneys flush it out. So, go ahead and drink up!
- Eat real food! Grab an apple, nosh on some nuts, or, if you’re in a hurry, grab one of our organic, superfood-packed LivBars. The combination of healthy fats, fruits, seeds and protein will help control your out-of-whack sugar levels. If you’re really hungry and need more than just a snack, opt for foods that are low on the glycemic index, like legumes, nuts, oats, and non-starchy veggies. You can make this Oatmeal Power Bowl in 5 minutes or this Curried Chickpea Stew is meatless and filled with fiber. If you want even more glucose controlling, delicious recipes that are low-carb and vegetarian, we recommend checking this out. (You can thank us later!)
- Move around. Get that heart rate up! Go for a quick walk, jog up and down the steps or have a dance-off with your Valentine, roommate, or furry companion in the living room.
- Sleep. Like, we mean get some proper sleep! The National Sleep Foundation recommends for adults 26-64 years of age to get at least 7-9 hours a night. Catch those zzz’s!
- Relax. Stress can make your blood sugar levels worsen, so take a chill pill! Go for a walk, do your favorite yoga flow, or sit quietly and meditate.
We’re all human here and chocolate hangovers are always going to be a part of our nature! While indulging in those chocolate covered strawberries (c’mon, it’s fruit!) from time to time is completely necessary, our nutritional bars here at LivBar are another great option to have on hand when you need something sweet. With yummy flavors like Blueberry Vanilla Kale and Coffee Maple Cacao, your sweet tooth will be fully satisfied as well as your belly!