We decided to take a slice out of a delicious gluten free apple pie with a fun Ginger Lemon Turmeric addition in the filling - a perfect treat to add to your fall weekend goodies line up! 🍁🍎🍂🥧
INGREDIENTS FOR CRUST:
• 2 cups almond flour
• 2 cups tapioca flour
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cold, cut into cubes
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon honey
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING:
• 8 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 3/4 cup coconut sugar
• 3 tablespoons tapioca flour • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
• 2 crumbled Ginger Lemon Turmeric LivBars
To Make Pie Crust:
- In a food processor, combine almond flour, tapioca flour, salt and cold butter and pulse until the butter is broken down into pea-sized pieces.
- Add in eggs and honey and process until the dough comes together.
- Shape dough into two round disks, wrap in plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
To Prepare Crust and Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF
- Remove one dough disk from the refrigerator and roll out dough to fit the size of a 9 inch pie tin, about a 12 inch circle. Place pie dough into the tin.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sliced apples, lemon juice, coconut sugar, tapioca, vanilla, salt, LivBars and spices and toss until combined. Spoon apple mixture inside pastry lined tin.
- Roll out remaining dough disk to an 11" circle. If you are making a lattice, cut the dough into 8 or 10 strips and weave the lattice on a sheet of parchment. Either invert lattice on to the top of the pie, or place the whole rolled pastry on top. Seal the pastry pieces together, and crimp the crust, if desired. If covering the pie make sure to slice in a few holes to let the pie vent.
- Bake until apples are tender and filling is bubbly, about 1 hour. If crust is browning too quickly, tent with aluminum foil.
- If desired, add one final crumbled LivBar to top of pie after cooling for added flavor!