Gluten Free Coconut Lemon Poke Cake
This Gluten Free Coconut Lemon Poke Cake is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy flavors, with a moist center and creamy topping. It’s surprisingly simple to make, thanks to the use of your favorite pre-made dry vanilla cake mix and dairy free whipped cream layered on top. And of course, we had to compliment it all with a crumble of Lemon Ginger Turmeric LivBar on each slice right before serving (thanks superfoods ginger and turmeric!). Light and refreshing, this recipe uses few ingredients and small steps to yield a reliably delicious desert.
We took notes from a standard poke cake by poking holes in the baked cake before pouring a lemon and sweetened coconut milk mixture on top, allowing it to soak in deep. Fluffy forkfuls of moist cake are sure to hit the spot and deliver on bold tastes of tangy lemon, cool cream, and sweet vanilla and coconut. We tripled up on the lemon flavor via juice, zest, and Lemon Ginger Turmeric LivBar. We did the same with the taste of coconut with coconut extract, milk, and shredded coconut sprinkled right on top.
To serve, slice it up and crumble that LivBar on the surface of each slice. Be sure to do this right before serving so the crunchy crumble doesn’t get soggy! Once it’s all said and done, you won’t ever settle for any other lemon-laced dessert (okay, except of course our Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Pie). Fork, meet mouth.
Gluten Free Coconut Lemon Cake
- 1 bag gluten-free vanilla cake mix - we used Pamela’s
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 14.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Dairy-free whipped cream - we used SoDelicious Coco Whip
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- Lemon Turmeric LivBar, crumbled for serving
- Make the cake batter according to package directions. Stir in the zest from 1 lemon. Bake according to package directions in a 9x13 pan. Once done, remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, lemon juice, maple syrup, coconut extract, and vanilla extract.
- Once the cake is cool, take a fork and puncture holes all over the cake. Pour the coconut mixture evenly over the cake. Let the liquid seep into the cake.
- Spread the entire tub of Coco Whip over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with the shredded coconut and lemon wedges to garnish.
- To serve, top each piece with a sprinkle of crumbled Lemon Turmeric LivBar.